Parenting is difficult no matter how you look at it- but it’s so much easier when you’re getting good sleep. Not only is sleep essential for being the best version of ourselves for our kids, but sleep is the most critical component of development, health, and growth for babies. Babies who sleep better, longer, and restoratively are happier, eat better, and develop a stronger immune system. Sleep deprivation can be a dark, lonely place, but no one should have to suffer alone!
Lack of sleep can be frustrating and trying to navigate how to get your baby to sleep can feel like an honors algebra equation (without a clear answer!) While a lot of baby sleep is predisposed and driven biologically, some products can help support healthy and safe sleep. Whether you’re a new parent or a veteran mama, I’m sharing a roundup of the best baby sleep products that can make a positive difference in helping your baby through the night! WIN, WIN.
Best Baby Sleep Products
Swaddles & Sleepsacks
For newborns, swaddles are one of the best baby sleep products. Using a swaddle with your newborn helps to minimize the moro/startle reflex which can wake newborns up in their sleep. I recommend using a swaddle until 8 weeks of age or when your baby starts showing signs of rolling.
Once your baby is 8 weeks old or showing signs of rolling, it’s time to transition them from the swaddle to a swaddle transitional product or sleeping sack. Anticipate a few days of transition, and potentially some off sleep, but your baby will transition with time! Here are my favorite swaddle blankets, swaddle transitions, and sleepsacks. You want to look for baby sleep products with breathable material, like organic cotton, and avoid any weighted products. Weighted products can be a hazard and are unsafe for sleep.
- aden + anais Essentials Easy Wrap Swaddle
- Love To Dream Swaddle UP
- Baby Brezza 2-in-1 Swaddle Transition Sleepsuit
- Halo 100% Cotton Sleep Sack
- Burt’s Bees 100% Cotton Sleep Sack
- KYTE Baby Bamboo Sleep Sack
White Noise Machines
White noise machines are AMAZING baby sleep products to help your child fall asleep and stay asleep. The beauty of sound machines is that they help mask outside noise and soothe your little one. When your child comes out of deep sleep, they’re connecting sleep cycles (after 30-45 minutes). During that cycle, any small noise could interrupt them. This makes it harder for them to stay asleep! White noise is a continuous noise with a consistent pitch, this calming sound helps promote optimal and restorative sleep. White noise machines are a key element to your child’s sleep environment. Keep white noise at 60 decibels and put the machine approximately 5 feet from your child’s crib. My go-to white noise sound machines are:
- Yogasleep Whish White Noise Sound Machine
- Yogasleep Hushh Portable White Noise Machine – This sound machine takes batteries, which is amazing when you don’t have an accessible outlet (or if you lose power)!
Night lights and OK to Wake Clocks
When your child enters toddler age (yippee!) and transitions from the infant sleep phase, they may start to express the need for a night light. A night light is acceptable if your child is of the age that they can comprehend why they need it. It can really help ease their nerves about being in the dark! (This is not like when you were sleep training– toddlers can endure a bit of light.) I always recommend an orange or red bulb, since the warmer colors will not disrupt circadian rhythms.
After toddlers transition to a toddler bed, a common struggle is their freedom to get out of their beds during the night and early morning. One way to address this is to use a time-to-rise clock, also known as an OK-to-wake clock. The concept here is that you and your child set the clock to one color, that color will signal when it’s time to go to sleep. You then set the clock to a different color, that color will signal that it’s okay to wake up.
My FAVE night light and ok-to-wake clock is the hatch baby rest. It has an app on your phone where you can adjust the time to signal that it’s time to start the bedtime routine and adjust the clock to signal that it’s time to wake up in the morning. These clocks are some of the best baby sleep products out there! They can give parents peace of mind knowing that their child not only has a night light to provide comfort but should help encourage them to stay in their bed all night long.
Must-Have Baby Sleep Products for Twins
Twins require double the stuff, but there are great baby sleep products that make it so much more manageable to get twins on a consistent feeding and sleep routine. These products will have your twins falling asleep in no time!
- The Baby Brezza Pro Formula Advanced is an amazing product that helps create bottles at the touch of a button. This Keurig for formula allows you to put formula and water in advance, press a button, and make a warm bottle for your baby so you have your hands free. It will alert you when you need to clean the filter so you don’t have to remember (who has the time or energy to remember that anyway??).
- The Table for Two feeding system is an adorable double chair to put your twins in to feed, if bottle feeding, or to just sit in once they are big enough. It has safety harnesses that hold the infants securely in place. The position of these seats provides a perfect feeding posture to aid in digestion and help relieve the symptoms of reflux, colic, colds & breathing difficulties.
- A split-screen baby monitor, like this BabySense one, that allows you to see both of your babies on the same monitor. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends the use of a monitor if your baby isn’t sleeping in your room. This will give you the peace of mind to get some shut-eye when they’re sleeping because you’ll be able to see both of them on one screen!
Hopefully, this list of the best baby sleep products has helped create an optimal sleep environment for your little one. Whether you have an older child or your baby is aging out of infant sleep products, I have a whole list of toddler sleep products to help! Check out my Infant Sleep Guide for all the ins and outs of baby sleep. If you’re struggling to get sleep, I offer one-on-one sleep services to help you and your whole family get the rest that you deserve. Better sleep is ahead!